After I had arrived yesterday evening,
today started the
with the Pre-conference Jumpstart day.
In the (Sunday!) morning I've attended Sametime 7.5.x Deployment and Upgrade, Without the Aspirin by Chris Miller, Connectria. He showed us a lot of stuff - and as always, in his own pace
Among other things,
- he installed a Sametime 8.0 server live,
- remembered us to disable hyper threading,
- told us that the UpgradeUtil does its job only incompletely, when converting from Domino to LDAP.
- gave us reasons to prefer LDAP over Domino,
- showed, what to consider about, and how to calculate network bandwidth and
- last but not least, how to plan and
implement a really scalable Sametime structure.
After a very Spartan lunch, I let Andy Pedisich, Technotics tell me everything about Server Monitoring and Statistic Collection 101.
He showed us,
- how to get statistics,
- how to collect them,
- how to extract meaningful information from the data,
- how to define events and notifications and
- how useful the Activity Trends are.
He showed us an utility Excel sheet to quickly and easily add databases (with the same filename, but from different servers) to the workspace. I created an Notes-only alternative: SnTT: Add database from different servers to workspace.